Friday, January 13, 2012

A BIRD'S EYE VIEW OF NYC

Several of us, two trainers, the class manager, and 4 students piled into one van with our 4 dogs while another student and instructor went by separate vehicle to New Your City today. We left campus about 9:15 and returned at about 2:00. We parked at the Port Authority and took escaladers and stairs down to the subway and divided into groups of two or three. I went with another student and our trainer on the subway to Columbus Circle and walked from Central park several blocks back toward Time Square. We then took another subway and met others for lunch in a restaurant at the Port Authority before returning to the campus.

It is always amazing to me that the dogs can guide us through the crowds of people, massive traffic, pigeons, horse-drawn carts, and all that is going on. They tolerate the noisy subway stations and turn styles. For me it is a real lesson in trust of my dog and of my trainer. He says “OK Joleen, you lead this time. The light is in our favor.” Off Puffin and I go with the other student starting soon after and the trainer silently following unless there is something of interest or safety to be said. Sometimes, as in the subway station, there is so much noise and the trains are whizzing past that I do as I am told, give the appropriate commands and trust that Puffin goes as directed. Things happen very fast there.

In my day-to-day life, I have no need to negotiate such an environment, but there are times when I do travel. One of us does negotiate similar situations in her daily commute to work. If I were to do it regularly, I would need to learn the layout of the station, but today it was just a way of learning that my dog is capable of working in very busy and distracting circumstances. It is always a highlight of my training experience.

We rested this afternoon while the trainer went with the two students who stayed behind. They did something in town closer to campus before and after our trip. Next week, things will be reversed and they will be the ones to experience the Big Apple.

Today is the first day that Puffin had freedom in our room without being on leash or tie down. She is wearing her bell so that I can hear where and what is happening with her. From the first day that I got her, we have been going straight to her “place” when returning to the room. I have been using the command “Go to your place.” And today, I was to send her there with the knock on the door and arrival of the food dish. She did go there and she did stay there until I retrieved the food and set it before her. Only when I said “OK” did she begin to eat. Good Girl!!! She is playful and it is easier to play with her now that she can move about a bit more. She has made no move to get on the bed or chew anything inappropriate. There is a big thanks to her puppy raisers for her good manners. She is very affectionate and she seems very bright. She has already learned to reach down to the bell that is hanging from her collar and hold it in her mouth.

There was another lecture at 6:30 until Park Time. Then I learned that I was scheduled to go on a night rout. This rout was the South Maple rout done backwards. There was a strong wind and the temperature was cold. We were bundled up and were comfortable. My little bird seemed to be energized by the cold—true to her name. The other person declined to take this optional trip. It was about 9:30 when we returned to the dorm this evening.

Huffin' and Puffin for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment