Monday, December 5, 2016

DAY 1: ARRIVAL

My flight to SeaTac with connection to Portland left at 6:00 a.m. A GDB (Guide Dogs for the Blind) staff member met me at the baggage claim where she had already retrieved my checked bag, obvious by the GDB luggage tag. Another student was with her and the three of us went immediately to the campus. The two of us students (the first to arrive) were taken to the dining room for lunch before going to our dorm rooms.

After the first of what promises to be individualized delicious and nutritious meal options, each of us had a one-on-one orientation to our rooms. This took some time as the accommodations are large. Double rooms have been converted to single rooms. There is one side with a desk, chair, recliner, closet and a small fridge. There are two doors to the patio, two doors to the hall, two sinks, one bathroom and, of course, a second side with another closet, additional door, desk with chair, and a bed.

There is the promise of a dog by the presence of a small waist pack with grooming tool for us to take home, a filled food box and measuring cup, two tie-down areas, a plush dog bed on the bedroom side, and a rug near the recliner. My room is at the far end of the hall. To explain the dorm would take much more time and space than you would want to read, but you can see it on the GDB web site at www.guidedogs.com.

We have not met the trainers yet, but that comes later today. Breakfast is at 7:30 a.m. with no formal wake-up call. We each are expected to use an alarm. Our first class of the day begins at 8:30 a.m. We are to appear there with the leash and filled treat bag that we were issued during the lecture yesterday afternoon. Did I mention that we have study material? It is also available on the GDB web site. Check it out.

There are daily study questions that we are given via the telephone tree in our room. Yes, there is homework that begins with reading or listening to lectures before we arrive for class. I was so tired last evening that I was in bed by 8:00 p.m. Those who know me well will agree that this is not my normal.

And are you wondering about my dog? So am I. We will receive our new partners between 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. this afternoon. More later.

Addendum: I received my caramel colored yellow lab named Mensa this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Terrific about Mensa. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to progress reports. We have snow here and there's more on the way.

    ReplyDelete